I’ve started thinking today about programming a new version of the good ol' fortune program. Not so much because it doesn’t do its job, but I think that a plain text backend has certain limitations.
I will be releasing the source code once I have it at least partially working (that is, not feature complete, but roughly working).
Features I’m looking at are:
- SQLite Backend*
- Ability to tag individual fortunes (so one fortune can belong to many categories and more advanced filtering could be performed)*
- Ability to import old fortune files (pretty much a necessity)*
- Addition of individual fortunes from the command line.
- Mimic all the basic fortune functionality.*
- New XML import and export standards.
- Global and user-overriding fortune preferences.
Only the features with the *’s will be included in the first release.
I’ll be writing it in Python. Feel free to leave some comments as to what sort of features you’d like to see in a modern fortune application. In the future, additional database support may be provided.